Monday, February 16, 2009

The Everglades – of Birds and Gators

I have spent the past week in the Everglades. As I had no internet access, updating my blog had to wait.
The Everglades are primarily grassland that is at or near water level. There is little elevation change.
Those areas that have been or have become higher form “hammocks”, or islands in the sea of grass that are more heavily vegetated.
On my second morning, I was up before the sun and took a short drive to a small pond. There, I found an incredible density of various water birds. They were untroubled by the presence of photographers like myself, and just went about their business as long as we weren’t too quick to move or too noisy.





It created an opportunity for some nice pics.






























































I was watching one bird in particular. It would freeze, and hold there without moving. Then, in an eyeblink, it would strike. and he has his breakfast - definitely a better fisherman than I.



Later in my stay I drove north to Big Cypress Preserve,
a wonderful gator habitat.

And now I think it is time for me to go.....

No comments: