Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summersville Lake

I have been staying at Battle Run on the Summersville Reservoir. This reservoir is formed by a dam on the Gauley River that was built in the '60's. I am told that it was dedicated by Lady Byrd Johnson. The dam was finished before a small mountain hamlet that was to be submerged, named God, was vacated and removed. It seems that Lady Byrd refused to name the dam for the town it was displacing, saying that there was no way she would dedicate a structure with the name "God Dam". The name was changed to that of the nearest town to remain, Summersville.





Yesterday morning I awoke to low fog over the water formed by the cold night air meeting the warmer surface waters. As the sun rose I saw some spectacular scenes formed by the mist, the rising sun and the trees at my campsite. These shots were all taken within 5 feet of the door of Enterprise.





No comments: