Monday, September 6, 2010

Two Majestic Volcanoes

I am near Hood River in the Columbia River Gorge.  About 35 miles to the north is Mount Adams and 25 miles to the south is Mount Hood.

Mount Adams is a stratovolcano located east of Mount St. Helens in Washington.  Like so many of the volcanoes in the Cascades, it looms over the surrounding lush forests.

Standing before it, and still 20 miles away, it dwarfs everything around it.

I now know what to look for, which allowed me to identify a collapsed lava tube with a remnant natural bridge.

Mount Hood is the highest point in Oregon.  It extends above the surrounding peaks like the Matterhorn towers above the forests of Switzerland.
I wish I knew how to yodel...

The sheer massiveness of Mount Hood is awesome.
Tomorrow, I move on to the coast.

No comments: