Friday, June 10, 2011

Where's the mountain?

I spent a day searching for Mount Baker.  It is a stratovolcano, the most northerly of the Cascades stratovolcanoes in the lower 48.  And it is BIG, like the others.

I had seen it from a ferry on Puget Sound.  In this shot, it towers above the surrounding peaks.  I am looking northeasterly, so those jagged peaks to the left of Baker, about 2/3 the height of Baker, are to the northwest of Baker.  I searched for a route to get me close to Baker with some good views.  There appear to be two routes - one to the south and one to the north.  I will be on the one to the south in about a month, so I headed north.

The road there was beautiful to drive but, except for a few glimpses of the rounded top of Mount Baker, did not yield any views of the volcano.  Instead, it brought me past Nooksack Falls into those jagged peaks (wow - some foothills!) to the northwest of Baker.

So, where the heck's the mountain?  It is only the biggest object within more than a hundred miles, but I never saw it, even though the scenery was magnificent.  I suppose some things are seen most clearly with some distance...

No comments: