Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Light

I am in New Mexico.  Around here, the terrain is high desert.  I don't have the magnificent forests and mountains, rivers and waterfalls of my home in the northwest.  Instead, I am rewarded by those occasions when I am given light that is just about perfect.

In early December, we had our first snowfall of the season.  I got up at dawn and went out.  The sunlight of the partially risen sun was kissing the snow sitting on the branches of the desert vegetation.

Later, in fact yesterday, the sky was dark with a passing winter storm.  In the late afternoon, a brief hole in the clouds to the west allowed the sun to spotlight part of the far shore.

Then, this morning, I woke to see the first colorful dawn since I got here in late October.

Sweet!

2 comments:

Aeagles said...

Lovely, lovely pictures.

Aeagles said...

Lovely, lovely pictures.