Friday, April 18, 2014

High Sierras, bye, Sierras

The eastern face of the high Sierras is topped by Mount Whitney, the highest point in the lower 48 states.  Lesser peaks to the east keep the campground in shadow while the sun paints the higher peaks of Whitney and its surrounding massif.



Even at midday, the views of Mount Whitney from the Lone Pine Trail are breathtaking (or maybe that was a combination of steep slope and altitude?).

I was very fortunate to have a storm engulf Mount Whitney in the afternoon sun, while I was at a point where I could see and try to capture the magic of that moment.
Yeah, that's a keeper…

So now I am in the Cascades, approaching home, relaxing just south of Mount Shasta.  I don't expect to see the Sierras for another year.


1 comment:

Pleinguy said...

I missed you on the 395. Still hanging in here waiting for the weather to warm up. It sure is pretty along the eastern Sierras though.