Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Smith Rock Hike

My last post was about climbing on these vertical walls.  Now, I take you on a hike up, down and along them.

My hike began by descending a trail named the Chute, named that, I assume, for its short, steep grade.  I crossed the Crooked River on a footbridge, then began to climb the Misery Ridge Trail.  On the way, I had some dramatic views, both to the left

and to the right.

Once on the ridge, the trail traveled west, then began its descent near the tower topped by Monkey Face.

Part way down the Mesa Verde Trail, the spires offered this photo op.

On reaching the valley, the River Trail paralleled the Crooked River.

Finally, I crossed the bridge and ascended the Chute, where I was offered this last look into the valley I had walked.

Then, home, and some Advil…

No comments: