Sunday, October 5, 2014

Serendipity

serendipity |ˌserənˈdipitē| noun
the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way

I am a little over half way from Oregon to New Mexico, and I planned to spend a day or two in the Canyonlands area. Everything there was full. Tired, I continued south, checking my GPS for public campgrounds. I found one about 10 miles south of Moab, named Ken’s Lake, so of course I had to try it.

I found a spot and settled in, then looked around. In the distance I saw a small waterfall cascading down the nearby cliffs.

I wanted to hike to it but did not have the energy to go for it that afternoon. Today, however, I went for it.

Up close and personal…

There was a trail nearby further up. A one mile hike brought me past wind-carved formations

...to a huge vertical cliff

Below, in the shade of the cliff, hidden by undergrowth and found only because of the sound it made, was another small waterfall.

Serendipity...







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice find with the cliffs, rock formations, and waterfalls. Hard to beat that!

Jim and Gayle said...

We stayed at Ken's Lake in 2010. Found out those were called Faux Falls and are actually man made. They were created when upper Mill Creek was diverted to bring water to the lake in 1981. Still a nice place to hike!