Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Those Who Served...

It is the morning of Veterans' Day. I am marking this day and its significance to us by remembering those that I personally know who have served in the armed forces of this Country. I urge each person reading this to take a few minutes and think of those who you know personally who served or continue to serve to keep us all safe.
Strapping on a uniform changes one. Perhaps you served here at home in a time free of armed conflict. Perhaps you served in an active theater. Either way, when one puts on the uniform, one makes a statement, that they will place themselves between their fellow man and threats to our safety.
Love comes in many forms. Love for self. Love for immediate family. Love for spouse. Love for friends and more remote family. Love thy neighbor... And the ultimate expression of love, loving your fellow man, unmet and unknown, so much that you are prepared to place yourself between them and harm. Those who have served in our armed forces have made this choice.
On this day, I remember my grandfather who served in WWI. I remember the uncle I never knew, who did not come home from the Pacific Theater. I remember my father and my uncles who wore the uniform during WWII and the Korean War. I remember my peers, Andy, Charlie and John M. who served in Vietnam and who left part of themselves, either physically or emotionally, there. I remember Erik and Gene and Harry and Herb who served in the Air Force. I remember Charles and Bob who served on flattops. I remember those of today's generation, Kris and Vanessa, who served or continue to serve.
You have all chosen to protect your fellow man. I have not forgotten, and I thank you.

No comments: