Sunday, October 3, 2010

Embarkation


After six months in Oregon, making it my home, it is time to start heading south.  On a misty morning, I say goodbye to South Beach State Park in Newport.

Entering northern California, I stayed for a few days at Siskiyou Lake.  To the south is a remarkable collection of granite outcrops.  The granite in Yosemite and in Maine is a medium gray.  The granite at Castle Crags is a very light gray, almost a white appearance.

Viewed from about 10 miles away, the Castle Crags form a jagged pale gray eruption from the smoother forest surrounding it.

In close, they are granite lances spearing the clouds.

In my campground, I looked out my window and saw...

As a rule, I'm not a fan of this kind of human-wild critter interaction.  I prefer to see the animals in a more natural way, with minimal effect from man.  There was something really neat though about seeing this woman, who has been feeding this deer for 2 years, interacting with an animal that other than its calmness in being in the campground, appeared to be a healthy, normal buck.

No comments: