Friday, September 23, 2011

More Teton Dawn and Wildlife

I once again was at an overlook before sunrise, this time looking for critters.  I had seen a cow moose and calf a few days ago, briefly, and went back trying for a shot.  I did not see them, but I did see a bull moose but from too far away for a photo.  Instead, I got to watch another grand sunrise.  First, the range before the sun is up...

Then, the sun is just kissing the tops of the peaks.

The light works its way down the face until it finally reaches the valley floor.

With the coming of sunlight, the moose disappeared but a herd of elk made an appearance.  In the meadow, about a mile from me, I watched two bull elk getting a bit aggressive with each other.  The confrontation, if there was one, happened behind the vegetation.  I saw the elk on the right backing up, head lowered, before turning and trotting off.

The other stood in the meadow and repeatedly bugled his challenge across the valley.

Heading north, I had two sightings fairly close by.  The first was a mule deer.

The second was an elk, only about 100 yards from me.

I finished the early morning watching a pair of otters playing at the water's edge.

Then, I headed home for coffee and breakfast.  Thanks for joining me for this sunrise.  What a great way to start a day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics!! I guess it really pays to get up early in the morning.