Monday, October 3, 2011

... and Sunset at Arches

I loved the dawn colors at Grand Tetons and Arches, but I must say, capturing sunsets is much more comfortable for me.  I scouted around a bit and settled on one area - between South Window Arch and Turret Arch in Arches National Park.

On the way there, the settling sun highlighted some far-off walls.  I couldn't resist stopping and getting out the big lens so I could reach out to this scene.

Reaching the parking area for the Windows Arches, I headed up the path, camera on my neck, tripod on my shoulder, and flashlight in my pocket.  I settled in the spot I had chosen, then began to second- and third-guess my choice.  All shapes and sizes of photographers were walking past me, settling elsewhere.

As the colors began to bloom, I was happy with my location.  Good composition and lighting was everywhere.  To the south, the fantastic (as in fantasy lands) shapes were calling out to my lens.

To the east, South Window Arch was glowing against the darkening sky.

To the west, God Rays from a setting sun silhouetted the Turret Arch formation.

Oh yeah - a good way to finish my stay at Arches and Canyonlands.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Gosh, these are stunning, Great Work!