Tuesday, October 18, 2011

From The Grand To The Minute

On my way southeast to New Mexico I stopped briefly at a great big hole in the ground - the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

My destination was Page, AZ, or more specifically, the Upper Antelope Canyon there, another hole in the ground, a few hours from Grand but far from being grand.  A walking tour is available to experience this slot canyon.  For most of the tour, you do not see the sky and you are in a space tight enough that I had to turn sideways a few times to clear some spots.  There is no artificial light.  The only light comes from sunlight reflecting off the brown sandstone walls.

Shortly inside the entrance, I looked back and took this shot.  The floor of the Canyon can be seen.

In most of the rest of the shots I was looking either straight up, like this one

or up and forward like these.  (I apologize for this flood of photos without comment, but they tell their own story - they don't need me.)









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! Your pictures were fantastic.

Kate said...

Great shots! Were these the actual colors? The purples are outstanding.

Ken said...

Thanks, Jimbo. Kate, the eye does not see the colors. It adjusts, just like when you are in a room lit by incandescent light. The camera can deal with that. I took my shots, and reduced the white balance from about 5000 as shot, to about 4000, then boosted contrast and saturation to emphasize the colors. Other than that, those are natural shots.