Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Well, THAT didn't work...

Last year, I explored the Black Canyon of the Gunnison - from the rim.  There were few trails down into the Canyon, all to challenging for me.  I was told that there were no trails that traversed the bottom of the Canyon, as it was impassible.

Well, I am back - briefly.  I found a trail that seemed to lead into the Canyon and decided to give it a try.  The trail began where the Cimarron River flows into the Gunnison River.

Across a footbridge, the trail then led downstream among and through boulders on the slope above the river.

The trail became very narrow as it progressed toward increasingly steeper walls.

At one point the trail was about 8" wide, on slightly sloping, loose surface.

The plan here was to move smartly along.  That has two meanings - move briskly, and move intelligently.  Before I entered the narrow, loose section I noticed an area rubbed clear where someone had apparently slipped and slid about 10 feet down the slope.  I wanted to be sure I would not repeat that maneuver, so I planned every footstep, then I made the steps briskly, not waiting to give the stones much of a chance to slide.

The trail dropped toward the river, with less and less space between the wall and the water.

Finally, I got to the trail's end.

Beyond, the vertical walls dropped into the water, leaving no place to walk.  So - I didn't get far into the Black Canyon, but I gave it my best shot.

4 comments:

Barb A said...

Could you have swam then walked some more?

Ken said...

I hear from boaters that the river continues for miles with no walkable shore. That is part of the risk of attempting to boat this canyon. If you have a problem, there is no place to pull out.

Jim and Gayle said...

Last summer we hiked the Curecanti trail on the north rim down to the river. Two miles down, but only got really steep the last half mile or so. As you said, there isn't any shoreline to walk on once you get down there, but it sure was beautiful.

Jimbo said...

You made a valiant attempt anyway. Great pics as always.