Thursday, November 6, 2008

What's In A Name...

November 6, 2008
I am now the owner of a new, silver-grey 27’ Midbath. I have gotten my orientation, which I thought was excellent.
What’s in a name? My dream is to travel, to explore, to go where I wish. The name I have chosen is “Enterprise”. My TOAD will be Galileo. For non-Star Trek fans, that is the name of one of the shuttlecraft carried by the Starship Enterprise.
I “christen” my LD the Landship Enterprise. Our continuing mission will be to boldly go forth to seek out new places, new vistas, to boldly go where we have not been before.
After a bit of packing away things that I had shipped, I embarked on our maiden voyage at 12:30, heading for Ridgecrest, CA, and the TireMan. I filled with gas and propane with about 50 miles on the odometer. I had so many things spinning through my head that I did not note the exact mileage.
About 15 minutes after leaving, I was in heavy traffic on a multi-lane freeway, heading up into the mountains out of the LA valley. Then, the motorist information signs on the side of the road begin flashing, warning of high wind gusts. Shortly thereafter, I began to notice other vehicles drifting around in their lanes, and I felt the gusts. Controllability was very good, and I had no difficulties.




The route took me through part of the Mojave Desert.





The Mojave has a beauty that is unusual for me. I am drawn to mountains, to lush forests and waterfalls, yet I found myself drawn by the vistas in front of me. I will be back, to explore this area more fully, rather than just passing through.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful, and I pulled into the driveway of the TireMan at about 4:30 PM

No comments: