Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dworshak State Park, Idaho

In north central Idaho, the Dworshak Dam rises over 700 feet to impound a reservoir from the flow of the north fork of the Clearwater River.  The lake is nestled in a canyon and the campground sits at the edge of the lake.

This area is noted for wildlife.  Around here may be seen osprey, bald eagles, black and grizzly Bears, moose, elk, wolves, cougars, deer, and various smaller critters like beavers.  I set out to see if I could spot any wildlife, an activity at which my skills are comparable to my fishing prowess.  After wandering around, I sat and rested.  That was when I saw it...

It was too nervous at first with me nearby to come out completely.  It was an evolving process.  The head poked up, it saw me, then it retreated.  As I made no movement, it came back up.  We repeated this dance a number of times before it stayed up.

Finally comfortable enough to not duck back down, the ground squirrel stayed at the surface, butt in its hole, head up and watching me.  Looking through my lens, I noticed that its body seemed to be bouncing up and down.  I kept still and watched.  Then I figured it out - he was being bumped by another head that wanted out!

We repeated the up and down dance with the second one...

...and the third...

... and the fourth.

Well, I finally saw some wildlife!  Not a bear or a moose, but they had me chuckling...

Today the campground, full over the holiday weekend, is empty but for me and the camp host.  I chatted a bit with him.  He told me of a hike to Freeman Creek on a trail paralleling the lake edge.  Off I went.


Sweet!

No comments: