Friday, June 1, 2012

I finally found a waterfall

Where I have been at Dworshak State Park in Idaho, wilderness is abundant but waterfalls have been hard to find.  Per my last post, I found one on Freeman Creek, all of 1 foot high.  Pretty, but not too impressive...

I did my research and found Elk Creek Falls, a recreation area only 13 miles from me - and a two hour drive.  You know the down east expression - "Ya cahnt get theyah from heeyah."  Like that.

It turns out it was a challenging hike for me, with distance, terrain, and a LOT of elevation change.  I first hiked down to the overlook for the Lower Falls.


After watching the shifting rainbow for a while (and gathering some energy for the long uphill climb ahead of me) I headed for Middle Falls.

Finally, I headed uphill again for the Upper Falls overlook.  It turns out that I had to climb up, then drop down to the base of the falls.

I then had another long climb to get back to the car.  I got there tired, but very satisfied with my day.

1 comment:

Jimbo said...

Good for you Ken. Hikes like that may be difficult but most satisfying when completed.