Monday, July 9, 2012

Mountain Light

An extremely talented photographer, Galen Rowell, wrote a book by this title.  I learned a lot from his books, and although I am captivated by grand views and rushing waters during the day, I am fascinated by the changing light that happens between day and night.

In Glacier, whenever weather cooperated, I was chasing the mountain light, whether it be approaching sunset high in Logan Pass,


sunset itself,

or early evening, nearly dark.

or in one case, a 5:00 AM sunrise that lit my "bedroom" with a reflected crimson glow that yanked me out of bed and into the car to chase to a viewpoint so I could photograph the full moon setting behind crimson peaks and clouds facing the coming day.


That's a memorable, rewarding way to start the day.

No comments: