Saturday, July 21, 2012

Yellowstone - Fools in the Wilderness

Yellowstone is a majestic land of nature. 

It is also a place of danger if one is not sensible.  You can't get into the park without being warned that wildlife is dangerous.  It can be possible to get reasonably close to wildlife, as I did to this elk.
Hmmm, maybe that bit of grass was not too tasty...

It can also be possible to get too close.

These elk were, in effect, surrounded by people.  The closest ones were within about 25 or 30 feet. 

They were running a real risk.  A short time after these shots, three kids ran out into the field, within 15 or 20 feet of the two bull elk, and were jumping and waving their arms at them.  The elk were shaking their heads, and were obviously tense and posturing.  Ultimately, they moved up and across the road between cars to the field on the far side. 

I got no photos of that - it was raining, and I had no protection for my equipment.  I fully expected that those kids were going to be trampled.

Me?  I use a 500mm lens to get close to most critters, like these mule deer.


In some cases, I used a wide angle lens, because the critters came so close to me.  This bison was shot from within my car as I was stopped in the road, waiting for the herd to clear the pavement.


Yes, that bison is big enough to hide a truck!

The Lamar Valley in Yellowstone has been called America's Serengeti.  This is why.

No comments: