Sunday, June 9, 2013

Close Encounters of the Best Kind

I have been hiking the shorter trails in the Tetons since the snow cleared enough to make that comfortable.  Although it is very much bear habitat, I have yet to see any bears.  I guess that is due in part to my following the recommended practice of making lots of noise on the trail.  That's ok - the trails are rewarding in themselves.

Phelps Lake's overlook is reached from a trailhead that leads to a place called Death Canyon.  I didn't go that far...

Taggert Lake Trail is shorter with less elevation change.  Near the start you cross a stream carrying the lake's outflow, with a Teton peak in the background.

Further along, you reach the trail's high point and a vista opens in front of you.

This morning, I woke, sat up and looked out my back window.  There were 5 people, about 100 feet away, looking back at me.  I turned and looked out the side window, to see a bull moose grazing along.

He passed within 8 feet of me as I sat at my dinette with the window open.

Every now and then, you have to stop and smell the flowers...

The bison herd can be seen almost every day.  They seem quite complacent about cars, but when they are this close, I do not get out...

If you look closely at this very young calf, you can see buttons where its horns have already started to grow.

Meanwhile, back in the campground, a very shy momma peers at me as I peer at her.

She is so cautious because she has two calves with her.  Several days of familiarizing her with me meant that I could get fairly close without disturbing her. 

As I shot photos with my big lens, she checked me out, then looked around, then did a bit of grooming.

I think she was just fine with having me there, but I didn't want to push it.  A few photos, and I backed away and left her in solitude.

2 comments:

sgsmith said...

Wow, those are great pictures of the moose family!

Jimbo said...

Great pics as usual. If you are still going to be in the Tetons in August I will be joining up with you and the rest of the LD'ers.