Monday, June 10, 2013

What - again?

Yesterday I found myself once again on the trail to Taggert Lake.  It was a hot day, with a crystal clear sunny sky.  I repeated a few photos, knowing that clouds in the background had diminished the majesty of the peaks in earlier photos.

First, the stream crossing -

The warm weather meant increased snowmelt, which translated into high streamflow.  I like this shot much more than the first one I posted.  The peak that seems to be the source of the flow is much more present.

Beginning the uphill grind, about 1/3 of the way up, I met some folks coming down.  They stopped and visited briefly and the man mentioned that there was a lot of uphill to go.  I agreed, and said this would be my third time up there this spring.

He got a puzzled look on his face and asked, "why?"

This is why.

This is taken within a few feet of a shot I posted last time, yet it looks quite different.
Follow the yellow brick - er, um, dirt - road...
Or - "The long and winding road..."

 How could you look at this and be satisfied with seeing it only once?
 Flowers are different every day.
Light and wind make the lake different every time you see it.
Flowers in the foreground are like golden ornaments decorating the far views.
The views don't stop, and are different at each point along the trail.
How could once possibly be enough?



1 comment:

Jim and Gayle said...

We understand completely. No matter how many times you hike the same trail, you will see new things each time.
Been thinking about you as we sit outside in our chairs on a rock outcropping on the Mogollon Rim. Remember your geology lesson at Heron Lake!