Sunday, June 30, 2013

Laughing at myself (again)

In the Tetons I have seen moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison, a bald eagle, a fox, and various smaller critters.  In spite of the fact that I am getting farther back country than ever before, and going there often, I have yet to see any wolves or bears.

I heard that there was considerable grizzly activity in the Oxbow Bend/Willow Flats area, so off I went.  On getting there, this sign seemed to confirm the rumors.

I set up on the edge of the closed area and began searching with my binoculars.  Nothing.

I returned the next day and resumed my search.  After a while I spotted a brown shape waaaay off across the flats. (Dead center in the photo)

It was moving.  It was definitely... something.  I shot a number of photos, knowing that the distance was so great that even with my 500mm lens and the most sharpening that I could get out of photoshop, the odds of a clear photo were very low.  But it was still there, and still moving!  Was I finally seeing a grizzly?  The color looked right...

When I got back to the computer I blew up the image 400% and cleaned it up as much as possible.  I finally was able to identify it.

Here is a shot from much closer range. 

It is a Sandhill Crane.  Not a bear.  Oh well...

1 comment:

Pam said...

Funny! Sometimes I see shadows or rocks or logs that I think are animals and I get excited prematurely. If it helps at all we didn't see any bear or wolves when we were there either!