Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Glass Butte

In 2010 I heard about Glass Butte, a mountain of vari-colored obsidian, where collecting was permitted.  I searched for it, without success.

About a week ago, I left Eugene, headed for Steens Mountain.  On the way, I stopped at a BLM campground, the Chickahominy Reservoir Recreation Area.  I was talking with the campground host and noticed some pieces of obsidian.  She confirmed that they were from Glass Butte.

"Where is it," I asked?

She pointed.  "Right there.  Only 17 miles away."

I got directions, signed up for a week, and went exploring.  The results were quite rewarding.

This is Oregon's high desert area, and the skies can be delightful.

So I collected obsidian, but what I really wanted was to hike to the top of Little Glass Butte.  After a few exploratory wanderings, I set out today to meet that goal.  The way up was steep, with no trails, but the views were worth it.

I made it to the top, where there was a small cairn of stones.

The skies were giving me a really fine cloud show.


Descending, I followed a different route, always exploring.  It became quite challenging in places.  I had to work my way around cliffs and outcrops.

The way sometimes led across slopes of volcanic rocks that shifted and slid underfoot.

Somewhere, along that challenging descent, my rock hammer was pulled out of the loop on my pants where I had been carrying it.

The mountain giveth, and the mountain taketh away...


I figure it is a fair trade.


No comments: