Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Entering Death Canyon

Before you ask, I don't know the origin of the name, except perhaps to hazard a guess.  In the Tetons, there are several east-west canyons set between peaks.  Some that I have wandered into include Cascade Canyon and, more recently, Death Canyon.

From the east, Death Canyon is notable for its narrowness and its precipitous walls. 
Perhaps in my best days, with Herb to back me up, and with the best climbing equipment, I MIGHT be able to climb those walls to escape that canyon.  More likely, it would be a trap for us, and more likely so for early explorers.  That is my totally unresearched guess as to the name.

The trailhead begins in a forested area, and climbs to an overlook, before descending toward the entrance to the Canyon.  Along that climb, green forest is balanced by an abundance of flowers - stands of Lupins and Paintbrush grow along the trail at these high elevations.


The overlook gives a spot of shade, usually with a breeze to bleed off some of the accumulated body heat.  I was ready for it, both inbound and outbound.  Below the overlook is Phelps Lake.
The trail drops down from the overlook, with continuing views of the lake.

Near the low point, the trail splits.  One part turns left toward the lake.  The other, my route, turns right toward Death Canyon.
The approach provides a partial view of the south wall.


Getting closer, the north wall, with a thready but high waterfall begins to appear, and that narrow canyon base begins to appear.
Entering the Canyon, the views become very vertical, with rock shouldering in close to the trail, and extending more than 1000' above, with the constant sound of a rushing stream dropping along the floor of the Canyon.

Not the place to be if you are claustrophobic...

I made it 3.2 miles in, the furthest I have managed in several attempts over the past few years.  Maybe, later this summer, I might get a bit further...?





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now those are some deadly shots. Looks like a very interesting place.