Monday, January 12, 2015

New Mexico light

I am camped at one of the campgrounds at Elephant Butte Lake State Park in southern New Mexico.  Days are often cloudless but when clouds are present, the light changes can be dramatic.

Mid-afternoon yesterday, the lake looked like this.

Early morning, it was very different.  The heavily overcast skies allowed a single spot on the lake to be lit by the sun.

As the afternoon sun settled slowly to the Gila Mountains to the east, gaps in the clouds plus still air composed some nice views of the mountains across the lake.



The day continued the light show to sunset.

Today, dawn was still offering treats.

Remember, these were all shot from within 100 yards of my RV in a single 24 hour period.  This is why I am here for my sixth winter.


1 comment:

Pleinguy said...

Nice shots Ken. I've often noticed the light changes there. But, I don't have the skill that you have in order to capture it. Thanks for sharing.