Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thank you, Millinocket

It is time to leave. The leaves are changing fast, and I am due in Franconia Notch.


Some thank you's are in order, and this seems to be a good time and place for that.
- To Dawn, the first person to greet me and make me feel welcome in Millinocket, and to the rest of the folks at the Appalachian Trail Cafe, for steadfastly maintaining that sense of welcome.
- To Gail, who showed me how to make and use a moose call. She didn't understand why the idea of luring an amorous moose to me might not be appealing, but she was a fount of knowledge of the area, telling me about good photo locations, roads and trails.
- To Charlie, who showed me the way to Sandy Stream Pond and showed me my first Maine moose.
- To Ranger Cathy, for her enthusiastic discussions, whether I was entering or leaving the Park.
- To Ranger Bill, for listening to my needs and constraints and for helping me find hikes within my capabilities.
- Finally, for the gentleman (I forgot his name) whom I met on the trail today and whom I teased about his Santa beard. He was so filled with joy and love of this place, its creatures, and the people who come here to absorb and enjoy this place.


Thank you, Millinocket.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pleased you enjoyed your stay. I love the area too. I wrote an article about Millinocket for the most recent issue of AT Journeys Magazine. Thought you might like the link if you haven't seen it.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/ATJ-09SeptOct-%20Millinocket.pdf
Come back next year.

Cheers,
Mike