Friday, September 18, 2009

The Through Hiker

In late winter or early spring, a number of backpackers embark on a quest from Springer Mountain, GA. Their objective is the top of Mount Katahdin, ME which, if successful, they will reach in the fall before snow and ice on its granite slopes close access to the upper reaches of this northernmost point on the Appalachian Trail. Like so many, I have hiked portions of The Trail, in many states. About 13 or 14 years ago, I managed 14 miles in Virginia with a full pack. That is the longest section of trail I have done in one shot.

The AT has been described as "A Walk In The Woods", to quote the title of a very enjoyable title of a book about one person's experiences on the AT. That fits all of my experiences on the AT.

I want to quantify the tremendous effort involved in through hiking (hiking the full length of the AT in one season). I find myself able to hike about 1.5 miles, after which I need a day of rest. Setting aside the issues of re-provisioning and water supply (as the AT follows crests, there is little water available except at shelter areas), at a rate of 1.5 miles every other day, it would take me 14.4 YEARS to traverse the AT, assuming that I had 200 days per year to hike, and taking no time off for rainy weather.

And yet, so many have completed this quest in one season.

I saw my first through hiker about 10 days ago. It occurred to me that a picture of him walking along, worn boots dangling from his pack, in light sandals on this very easy and level part of the trail, with Elbow Pond to his left and birch and conifers to his right would be a nice composition. I immediately began to follow him as I took my lens cap off.

By the time I had gone about 50 paces, he was out of sight.

I did not get my picture, but the image remains in my mind.

So, this post is, simply, a tribute to those who are known as the Through Hikers. I finish with a few photos representative of the AT that I have not yet posted.


No comments: