Monday, June 18, 2012

Dark days, rugged mountains

I got to Glacier on Thursday afternoon after a long, fatiguing day behind the wheel.  Friday dawned cloudy but cleared by late morning.  I headed into the park and came out 9 hours later with over 250 photos after the first round of cuts.  Lots of work ahead of me.  With rain in the forecast, I will have time for editing.  Those pics will be the subject of future posts, once I have gotten through them.

Three days later, the rain continues here at Glacier National Park.  Still, the views can be awesome.  A long drive on a muddy, potholed single lane road a few miles south of Canada brought me to the south end of Bowman Lake. 

Had it not been so wet, I would have walked at least part of one of the trails. 

I returned to the main park area.  Wandering about, I wound up at the Apgar Visitor Center, at the south end of Lake McDonald, the largest lake in the park.  The air was relatively still, but thunder boomers echoing behind me assured me that I was NOT going to do much walking today.  Not a problem...
If I ever get sunshine, this place will be awesome.

The Going To The Sun Road is still closed but may open tomorrow.  If it does, I am off for 50 miles of spectacular mountain driving.

No comments: