Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mountain Goats

Until recently I was unclear of the difference between Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goats.  Bighorn Sheep are the ones with the horns that curl around, and that ram one another for status and control of a herd of females.  Only the male horns curve around fully.  The females have much smaller horns.

Goats, on the other hand, have black, slightly curved horns.  These are the ones that climb the precipitous cliffs.  I was lucky one afternoon and spotted a herd, including lambs.

I am not sure if Mom was licking her chops or sticking her tongue out at me.

In full winter garb, they can stay warm high in the mountains because of that heavy coat.

I watched some of the goats rubbing their shoulders against the rocks.  I figured out that they were shedding that heavy coat for lighter summer wear.

Finally we see how much of their bulk is them, and how much is fur.

No comments: