Friday, June 8, 2012

Farragut State Park, Idaho

Waaaay up in the Idaho Panhandle is one of the deepest lakes in the northwest.  Lake Pend Oreilie is 1200 feet deep in places.  It is surrounded by rugged mountain peaks.



Geologically, this area was formed in part by the rupturing of an ice dam in Montana during one of the ice ages.  The resulting flood is estimated to have been 500 feet above the lake level, and the flood waters were strong enough to carry boulders the size of houses.  These boulders are scattered along the shores and mountain slopes surrounding the lake.

Trails, ranging from paved, almost level paths to rock scrambles, are spread through the park and surrounding wilderness.  Again, native wildlife include grizzlies, wolves, black bears, mountain lions, moose, elk, deer, mountain sheep and goats, and a variety of smaller critters.  Again, I saw squirrels - and a few deer.

It has been raining on all but two of the days I have been here.  On the first of those two days, I hiked a trail that was extremely steep and rocky, with uncertain footing.  At its top, I had some really nice views of the surrounding area.


Finding the trail, through the rocks, was often a case of looking for slight discoloration on the rock surfaces where others had scuffed off the lichen.

The second nice day, I walked an easier path that bordered the lake shore.

3 comments:

Jimbo said...

Sounds like you are getting similar weather as myself here in Oregon. That sure is a beautiful area. Hope to get there someday.

Sammy said...

I camp at Farragut a few times a year, every year. I don't recognize that stretch of beach in the second photo. I need to find it!

Ken said...

Sammy, as I recall, that beach is directly down the bank from the playground area at Sunrise.
K