Saturday, September 1, 2012

In and Near Gros Ventre CG

I found that I did not have to hike to see critters.  Pronghorn antelope were a common sight driving to and from the campground.

Moose frequented the area.

Sometimes they wandered right through the campground.


One encounter was unnerving.  I had parked the car and walked along the road to check something out.  A few hundred yards from the car, I turned around and started back.  Two bison emerged from a hilltop and crossed the road in front of me, between me and the car.  I stopped and waited until they were well down into the Gros Ventre River area, then continued.  About a hundred yards from my car, a really BIG bison crested the hill.  I stopped.  He stopped.

And thus we stayed for about 10 minutes.  I had no shelter behind me.  I was too far from the car to reach it if he became upset with me.  He clearly wanted to follow the others but was waiting for me to be gone.  If I continued to the car I would pass him about 50 yards from him - too close for safety.  So we stood there.

Eventually he disappeared back over the hill.  I beat feet to the car and left.

No comments: