Sunday, September 23, 2012

Welcome to Abiquiu

After I left Heron Lake, I headed south for a 2 week stay at Abiquiu Lake.  Abiquiu gained some notoriety from one of its residents - Georgia O'Keefe.  I can't say for sure that this is right, but I understand that the photo below is of the cabin where she stayed.

The surrounding land is characterized by the iconic sandstone, shaped by wind and water, set amid high desert.

I can only imagine sitting in that cabin and watching the dramatic sunsets that have been such a rewarding aspect of my stays in New Mexico.

3 comments:

Jim and Gayle said...

Hi Ken, we really liked Abiqui, too. But Wild Rivers is amazing. We are on the rim overlooking the Rio Grande Gorge, hoping there are no fissures underneath us!
Hope you're having a good time with all the Lazy Daze folks there.

Delta Mike said...

Abiqui is special to us. Spend some time in the town library. Lot of history there. Drive the river road to the "monastery". Lot of color in the low hills on the east bound road just south of the dam road.

Jimbo said...

The beautiful New Mexico sunsets is something I really miss. It is hard to see a sunset while in a national forest. I am enjoying all your pics.