Saturday, September 1, 2012

Two hikes

My visit to the Tetons included a lot of hiking.  I would do a hike, then take a day or two to rest, then do another.  Most of the hikes in the Tetons were well beyond my safe limits - I skipped them.  Several were within range.  Perhaps the best of these was the hike to Inspiration Point.  The hike is 6 miles one way - unless you do what I did and cut it down to 1 mile by taking a boat across the lake.

The trail takes you up the rocky side of a peak.



The views along the way keep drawing you on.


Inspiration Point overlooks Jenny Lake.


If you continue past the Point, the Cascade Canyon trail becomes much more level.  It follows up a stream that eventually is winding through a high alpine meadow.




Tucked in that mass of vegetation is a bull moose.


He had been there 3 days before and was still there a week after.  It had everything he needed, except a cow moose, and that season was not yet here.  I kept hearing reports that he was still there all through my stay.

The second hike was actually two hikes - both to Phelps Lake.  On the first, I hiked up to an overlook a mile in from the trailhead.

On the second, I hiked to the near edge of the lake.

No comments: